Get Flash

Sunday, November 20, 2011

Lost in Translation? The joys of Luganda AND Sarah does some work!


Greetings friends and family, today we hope to share with you the joy and wonder of learning Luganda (the language spoken by the Baganda people who live in this area of Uganda, the kingdom of Buganda – we kid you not).  Whilst we are striving to improve, our efforts are not without associated difficulties.  A sample to whet the appetite:

Mukama Afuga: the Lord Reigns!
Mukama Afuuka: the Lord becomes...
Mukama Afuka: the Lord passes urine!
Subtle changes can make all the difference as you can see!

Luckily I think expectations for our Luganda skills is limited, so actual offense-causing is similarly limited.  It is fortunate for us that the people of Uganda are forgiving and friendly!
We also thought we might update you on what we are doing work-wise, in case you think all we do is entertain people by mispronouncing Luganda, and cruise the streets in Barry the Beefy Badboy Beast! Timmo will update you on his work another day, but I will talk a little bit about what I have been doing. 

I have been working at Kitovu hospital on the children’s ward and in outpatients, but have also been to Mulago hospital in Kampala to start to learn more about clubfoot management (using manipulation and bracing, which is cheaper and more effective than surgery). 

Working on the children’s ward involves accepting that at least 50% of my patients burst into tears immediately on seeing me, which is a bit disconcerting – I think perhaps they fear I am a ghost (perhaps I should work on the tan a bit).  And at least 70-80% of the mothers burst into laughter when I try out my Luganda.  Sigh.
But it is good working there – very rewarding, although scary at times.  I am regularly out of my depth (managing comatose malaria patients, commencing anticonvulsant drugs, scratching my head over starting TB treatment, wondering what to tell a mum whose baby appears to have a genetic disorder, trying to decide which sick children needs the oxygen concentrator most – the list goes on), but then spend most evenings fervently searching books, and the net, for management strategies and up to date research.  I am learning a lot and am really very thankful for good internet access!  


No comments: