Get Flash

Tuesday, December 04, 2007

HIMALAYAN ADVENTURE - DAY 4

I woke at 5:00 and immediately looked out the window to see of it was clear. Fishlips! It seemed to be cloudy. Then I realised it was simply that the windows were misted up! Hoorah it was clear indeed, we all jumped out of bed and frog-marched up the steep hill to be met by the sunrise and the most spectacular views I have ever seen and may well ever see. Words cannot describe what our eyes beheld, a panoramic view, clear as crystal of Kachendzonga all the way round to Everest, Lhotse and Makalu. Breathtaking!






It was a difficult thing to turn our backs and walk back down, but after a while we did. The rest of the day we walked down, 23km, and left the mountains behind to start walking through the lower bamboo forests and jungle.

Our stop for the night was a fabulous lodge, almost luxurious after the night in Phalut, as we had electricity for a few hours and RUNNING WATER! I enjoyed my first proper wash in 3 days!

After our usual fabulous meal, we were offered what our cooks described as “custard.” My hopes were soon dashed when they served a rubbery orange mass the taste of which can only be described as “propa mankey!” Not wanting to be rude and leave it I waited until the serving staff weren’t looking and spooned it into a sick bag. This caused much hilarity within our party and it was passed round for the others to do likewise. I knew that sick bag would come in useful sooner or later!

No comments: