Get Flash

Tuesday, February 20, 2007

Timmo's Personal Ponderous Proverbs - Verse 2


welcome again bredrins and sistrins to my Personal Ponderous Proverbs. Once again I have a useful pearl of wisdom to share with you thanks to my continued leraning curve here in the Uganda Massive. Here is Verse 2:

The man who is learning Luganda and payeth particular attention to details such as pronounciation will walk the road of success. However the man who doth not learn such subtleties of language will find himself walking the road of humiliation and ridicule.

The reason for this proverb is quite simple, years ago my Ugandan brother Jjunju taught me how to say in Luganda "what's gwarnin my bredrin?" (or "what's going on geeza" to those of you not from London). However, with the slightest change in pronounciation of the word that means "bredrin" it changes to mean "wife" . Yes I think you get the point now! One of the boys finally told me the other day whilst in hysterics and I realised why I'd been getting so many strange looks. Learn from my mistake my friends, learn well.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, how about getting a wife, ratcatcher cracked lips??!!

Anonymous said...

Neet proverbs mate.
what wisdom can I impart as I tear around the underground shooting short films/learning lines and practising different accents for acting jobs (latest Ukrainian) If I need Lugandan I shall know where to come!
My proverb might be:
"those who practise songs on bus, will get bad looks from other passengers!!
Fiona